Stadsvilla Sonsbeek - Historical Estate
The park Sonsbeek consisted in the 18th century of three separate areas: the Wildbaan, the Hartgersberg (Heart Mountain) and Sonsbeek. The Wildbaan lay round about the present Parkweg. The Hartgersberg was centered around the site where now stands the Villa Sonsbeek and northeasterly direction Apeldoornseweg and southeastern direction Sonsbeekweg, region thereof. Sonsbeek included the grounds around the existing lake, the Jansbeek and Belvédèreheuvel (the southwestern and northwestern area so).
In 1742 the estate the Hartgersberg fl 6,000.00 was purchased by Adriana van Bayen from India (born in 1723 in Batavia). In 1744 by she ordered town carpenter Anthony Viervant to build a house. The cost of this building amounted to NLG 12,000.00. A huge sum for that time. As the daughter of a wealthy Indies Ganger was this sum for Adriana no problem. The house of Van Bayen is the present central part of the 'White House', but with a much lower level. In 1749 Adriana married mr. Johan Jongbloet, lawyer at the court of Gelderland.
Since 1790 the House Heart Mountain was owned by Jan Frederik Diemer that Gerard Belaerts of Wieldrecht, the son of Adriana van Bayen had bought. Probably it has been Diemer who let build two wings in 1797. A so-called cupola room at the rear of the building already existed in 1790 when Jacob de Raadt Gessler during his trip Gelderland 'visited Belaerts. In 1808, the house is sold again. Daniel Ruysch, owner since 1797, it sells off the Hague derived Baron Theodore de Smeth, chamberlain of the king. In 1806 had the Smethport, already bought the estate Sonsbeek. With the Hartgersberg purchase in 1808 created a new large estate which was given the name Sonsbeek.
In 1821 came the estate, for an amount of NLG 210.000,00 owned by Jacob Hendrik Carel Jan Baron van Heeckeren of Enghuizen. Under him Sonsbeek reached its greatest extent: over eight hundred hectares. Also Heeckeren of Enghuizen bought the area east of the Apeldoornseweg (St. Marten and Sonsbeek) Alteveer, most of the current Mayor Quarter and grounds the Waterberg, which stretched as far as the King's.
The Smeth went from 1808 to live in the house on the Hartgersberg. Also H.J.C.J. van Heeckeren of Enghuizen chose Hartgersberg as live and let enlarge the house